Tuesday, March 3, 2009

28 Days of Random Kindness - Act XX

Thankful for my friends

Well first you must forgive me for being a bit behind on my February quest. I've been away for a few days. It is now already March (3rd to be exact) and I still haven't completed my goal of 28 acts of kindness. As I've become more aware of my kindness and the kindness around me I know I've been touched by it daily but have not written about it. So here I am, already into March and I'm only at Act 20 - but I'm determined and happy to complete this goal.

Today I got in touch with a friend that I haven't spoken with for probably six months. The silence was not for any particular reason but just time that had caught up on itself. It's funny how time can be though. You start to think that maybe there is a reason you haven't heard from her yourself, doubt can creep in and you start questioning the friendship, maybe she's mad at something you did or she just doesn't actually find you that interesting. While in fact it was none of the above and you were missed as much as she was.

As I've discovered while doing these acts of kindness I really feel that I reap the benefit as much or more than the recipient. It felt great to meet up together. We started talking just where we left off and we have plans to meet again soon for lunch, or coffee or whatever it takes to get us together. I vow to myself not to base my friends visits around the tidyness of our house. I really don't think they care if there might be dishes in the sink or too many shoes and boots at the front door. As I schedule my time around my children's activities and social events I need to in fact make sure that I schedule time for myself. As a mom of active children it's easy to wrap your schedule around theirs without realizing over time that you've left nothing for yourself. As I get older I have a greater appreciation for the friendships I have in my life and I don't want to take any of them for granted.

So I encourage you to call, visit or even write a friend you haven't spoken to for a while. You won't regret it and in fact you'll probably wished you had done it alot sooner.

"A friend is a gift you give yourself".
Robert Louis Stevenson

2 comments:

  1. I think this is the best thing I've read all day. I heard about Random Acts of Kindness a while ago (who hasn't) and thought it was a great idea. If everyone did it, what a wonderful world - anyway life gets in the way sometimes. I think I'm a nice person, but sometimes I'm too busy and rushed to take a minute and do that little something for someone. You have inspired me. So what if it's not Feb. anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave you a blog award - go to my blog for more details!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment. I love to read them!